Feb 23, 2011

Grandiose Sense of Self

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

A grandiose sense of self is rather simple to explain. Referring to Glibness and Superficial Charm, the sociopath uses the idea of Mind over Matter to easily acquire what (s)he wants or needs. When I was in college, I wanted a mini-fridge for our room, so I could have cold beverages and creamer for my coffee. Luxurious, I know. My two roommates and I all had bits and pieces of cash, left over from student loans, refund checks, and work-studies. I had other ideas for my money however. I decided that I'd contributed enough to the room, even though I definitely hadn't. I forced myself to believe that, however, so within a week or so, I was complaining to one roommate about the other not contributing, and the other about the first not contributing. They began arguing with each other about who could provide what, and in just another week, one had bought a mini-fridge, and the other had bought a TV. I used my money to get coffee creamer, cold beverages, and a couple DVD's.

I wouldn't say that it's "our right" to have these nice things, but if we can attain them through other people, we do. I would say that I earned the right to both the TV and the fridge. It wasn't difficult, but it was my doing that brought both of my roommates to spend responsibly, so I could continue to spend irresponsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment